Russian poetry: Study Guide
"I remember the wonderful moment"
- What three stages in the relationship between the poet and his lover are described in this poem?
- How did the poet feel in the absence of the beloved?
- List the things that we know about the beloved.
- Do you think the poem is about the beloved, or about the lover/poet?
"I loved you once:"
- Many Romantic poets felt that they were like prophets; they claimed to have accute sences that were beyond the reach of the common person. Describe the imagery that the poet uses to indicate this ability.
- How else is the poet like a prophet?
- What do you think the image of the "fiery heart" represents? What does it mean to have a fiery heart?
- Translate into common language the angel's command to the poet in the last four lines.
- This lyric poem describes the poet's mood after a breakup. How does he describe his love for the beloved? What is his mood?
- What is the poet's wish for the beloved?
- How common do you think is the poet's response in the last two lines? Is this something one normally wishes for the beloved?
- In this poem the poet seems to feel that thoughts and feelings are things that are impossible to share with others. Do you agree?
- What do you think is the difference between "telling" someone your feelings and "sharing" your feelings with someone?
- What is the reason, according to the poet, that it's impossible to to share one's feelings?
- Why is it not good to share them, anyway?
- What do you agree with, and disagree with, in this poem?
"I am weary and sad..."
"Alone, I come out on the road"
- List what makes the poet lonely and sad.
- The poet says that it's impossible to love forever. This is typical view of love for the Romantic poet. Why do you think it's impossibe?
- The last two lines are typicsl lines spoken by a suicidal person, a good candidate for Prozac. What do you think is a good medicine for this poet?
- Heine is one of the poets that had great influence on Lermontov. What similarities do you find between this poem an any of Heine's poems?
- What is the poet's attitude toward death.
- Why do you think that many Romantic poets glorified death? What was so appealing to them about death?