Orwell. "Shooting an Elephant". Reading Questions
- What was Orwell's attitude towards imperialism?
- What is George Orwell's view of Imperalism in Burma as portrayed in the story?
- How did the people of Burma express their hatred towards the narrator and his race?
- Why was Orwell unhappy and angry in his position as a colonial police officer?
- Orwell says "when the white man turns tyrant, it is his own freedom that he destroys." What do you think he means by that?
- What were the circumstances that led Orwell to shoot the elephant
- What is the writer's basic internal conflict?
- How does the story relate to imperialism?
- Why is the Burmese citizens' behavior towards the narrator "perplexing and upsetting" to him?