James Joyce. "Araby". Reading Questions
- What point of view is the story told from?
- What is the setting of the story? What does the description of the setting in the beginning of the story suggest about the nature of the boy's world? what kind of mood does teh author depict?
- What is the nature of the boy's relationship with Mangan's sister? How does he describe his feelings toward her?
- What happens to the boy every time he thinks of Mangan's sister?
- How would you describe the narrator's home life?
- What does Araby symbolize to the boy? Why does he go there, and what does he seem to think he will be able to accomplish as a result?
- Describe the boy's shopping expereince at Araby. How is the motif of the quest used in the story?
- How does the boy feel at the end of the story? Why does he accuse himself of vanity?
- What do you think is the theme of the story?