Pastoral Poetry and Drama. Study Questions
Christopher Marlow "The Passionate Shepherd to His Love".
- What are the origins of pastoral works?
- How do pastoral works contrast peasant life and city or court life?
- What are some topics covered in pastoral works?
- How is country life idealized in pastoral works?
- What is an elegy?
- Who are the main characters in pastoral works.
Sir Walter Raleigh. "The Nymph's Reply to the Shepherd"
- What does it mean to be "passionate"?
- Unity of harmony of man, nature and animals.
- The beloved transformed into a goddess of nature.
- How does the poet describe the happiness of the shepherd?
- In tanzas 1 and 2, how does the speaker say they will enjoy the beauty of nature?
- In stanzas 3-5what sort of things will the speaker make for his beloved to please and persuade his her?
Thomas Campion. "I Care Not for These Ladies"
- What is the Nymph's reply to each offering of the shepherd?
- Describe why the author prefers a country girl over a city girl?