Thomas Paine (1737-1809)
from "Common Sense. On the origin and Design of Government in General"
from "The Age of Reason. The Author's profession of Faith"
- What are the main differences between society and government?
- In what ways is government "evil" and "intolerable"?
- Why is there a need for government (paragraphs 2 and 3)?
- Why did the American colonists need government after they came to America?
- Why should elections be conducted often?
- What do religious duties consist of?
- Why does Paine not believe in the creed professed by the various churches?
- What do you think he means when he says "My own mind is my own church."?
- What specifically is his view of "All national institutions of churches"?
- What is his meaning of "infidelity" in religion?
- Why was the revolution in the system of government not followed by a revolution in the system of religion, according to Paine, and when might that happen?