Dr. George Mitrevski
- Auburn University, September 1983 - 2009. Presently Professor Emeritus.
- Fulbright Teachng Fellow, 9/2009-12/2010, Pedagogical Faculty in Bitola and University for Information Science and Technology in Ohrid, Macedonia.
- Fulbright Teaching Fellow, January-June 1997, Skopje Macedonia.
- The Ohio State University, Visiting Assistant Professor and
Computing Consultant. Summer 1984, 1985 1986
- Auburn University Foreign Language Lab Director. April 1990 - June 2003
- Serbo-Croatian Just for You: Instructor Manual. OSU Slavic
Papers No. 31A, Columbus, Ohio 1986. Sljivic-Simsic, Biljana and Robert Price.
- Serbo-Croatian Just for You.
Computerized vocabulary compiled by George Mitrevski, pp. 639-665. OSU Slavic Papers No. 32,
Columbus, Ohio 1985.
- "On the Classification of Macedonian Proverbs in an Electronic Database." XIV International Congress of Slavists.
- “Petre Andreevski”. Dictionary of Literary Biography, Bruccoli Clark Layman. 3000 words.
- "A Proposal for a Macedonian Morphological Tagset for Encoding Electronic Corpora." Proceedings of the VIth Macedonian - North American Conference. University of Skopje, Macedonia.
- "Macedonian electronic corpus: design, implementation, access." Proceedings of 38th Seminar on Macedonian Language, Literature and Culture. Skopje, Macedonia. To be published in Summer 2006, pp. 249-257.
- “Ìàêåäîíñêè ¼àçè÷åí êîðïóñ.” [Macedonian language corpus: idea, possibilities, realization], with Ñíåæàíà Âåíîâñêà-Àíòåâñêà. Skopje, Macedonia: Proceedings of the 37th Seminar on Macedonian Language, Literature and Culture, 2005, 73-88.
- "Misirkov's On Macedonian Matters from Lexicographic Aspect." Proceedings of the International Conference on the One Hundredth Anniversary of the Publication of the Book. Vol. II. Skopje, Macedonia: Macedonian Academy of Sciences and the Arts, 2005, 227-233.
- "Notes and Studies of Prespa in the Branislav Rusic Colletion at MANU, Skopje." Joseph, Brian, ed. Macedonian Studies. Working Papers in Slavic Studies, vol. 4. Columbus, Ohio: The Ohio State University, 2004, pp. 207-220
- "Computerized Database of Slavonic Manuscripts in Macedonia." in Monastic Traditions: Selected Proceedings of the Fourth International Hilandar Conference. Bloomington, Indiana: Slavica, 2003, pp. 205-206.
- "The Future of Language Learning in the Digital Age." in The Teaching and Learning of Slavic langauges and Cutlures. Bloomington: Slavica Publishers, 2000, pp. 363-374.
- "Publishing in Macedonia." Slavic and East European Information Resources, Vol. 1, No. 2/3, 2000, pp. 187-209
- "Goran Stefanovski." Dictionary of Literary Bibliography. Vol. 181. Detroit: Bruccoli Clark Layman, Inc. 1997, pp. 346-354.
- "Russian HyperTutor: Interactive Multimedia for the Macintosh" Journal of Computing in Higher Education. Spring 1995, Vol. 6(2), 120-137
- "Presenting Russian Culture: Interactive Multimedia Approach."
Proceedings of Interactive Multimedia '92 conference. Warrenton, VA; Learning Technology Institute, 1993, pp. 47-50
- "On the Functionality of of Text-Based Management Systems for Literary Research." in Data-Bases in the Humanities and Social Sciences. Volume 5, Learned Information, Inc.: Medford, N.J. 1989, pp. 473-480
- "Semiotic Analysis of Adaptations in the Theatre." in Approches de l'opera.
Edited by Andre Helbo. Paris: Didier, 1986, pp. 233-239
- Translations of Literary Works into English
- "Medalja" (Medal). By Veljko Radovic. Scena (English Issue), 5 (1982):252-273
- "Karamazovi" (Karamazovs). By Dusan Jovanovic. Ljubljana, Yugoslavia: Studio
Vipotnik, 1982. Play performed at International Theatre Festival in Denver in 1982, also in
Chicago, Washington D.C., Los Angeles, San Francisco and New York.
- Leighton, Lauren G. Modern Russian Culture: A Course of Ideas and Images. Slavic and East European Journal Fall 2005, pp. 726-728
- Slavko Janevski. The Bandit Wind. Takoma Park, Maryland: Dryad Press, 1991.
Slavic and East European Journal.
- "The Electronic Crime and Punishment". AATSEEL Newsletter, November 1994, 20-21
- Meto Jovanovski. Faceless Men and other Macedonian Stories. London and Boston:
Forest Books, 1993. Slavic and East European Journal.
- "Transparent Language" and "Storyspace". International Association of Learning
Laboratories Journal in April 1993 Volume 26 No. 2, 1993:55-60
- "The Kremlin" Laserdisc. Slavic and East European Journal, Vol. 37, No. 1, 1993:138-139
- Multimedia Design with HyperCard, by Stephen Wilson. CALICO Journal, 9, 4,
- Searchable corpus of Macedonian texts: http://omilia.uio.no/CE/mak/
- Searchable database of Macedonian proverbs (approximately 5,500): http://macedonia.auburn.edu/proverbs/proverbs.php
- Contract work for MOTOROLA Corporation to generate frequency wordlist of Macedonian electronic texts(approximately 100,000 words).
- Macedonian Reverse Electronic Dictionary: http://macedonia.auburn.edu/revdict/index.html
- Electronic Dictionary of Macedonian Abbreviations and Acronyms: http://macedonia.auburn.edu/abbreviations/kratenki.html
- Concordance of K.P. Misirkov's On Macedonian Matters: http://www.auburn.edu/forlang/macedonia/zmrConcordance/framconc.htm
- Database of Medieval Manuscripts in Macedonia: http://www.auburn.edu/forlang/macedonia/mmm/index.html
- The Kocho Racin Electronic Archive: http://www.auburn.edu/forlang/macedonia/MANU/Racin/index.html
- Macedonian Proverbs Database: http://macedonia.auburn.edu/proverbs/proverbs.php
- Russian Web Tutor. Over 700 web-based exercises and tutorials to accompany the textbooks Golosa and Nachalo.
- Russian Review Grammar (1994) and Russian HyperTutor (1992).
Computer-assisted instructional software.
- Comer, William. "Russian Hypertutor: A Complement to Russian for
Everybody." IALL Journal of Language Learning Technologies,Volume 27, No. 2, 1994:85-89
- Jahn, Gary. "Russian HyperTutor." AATSEEL Newsletter, February 1994, pp.
- Mitchell, Paul. "Russian Hypertutor." Computer Assisted Language Learning
Consortium Journal, Volume 10, No. 2, pp. 24-26
- The Kremlin HyperTour. Hypermedia system for teaching Russian Culture based on The Kremlin laserdisc.
- Russian Alive! Instructional software. Programming and design by George
Mitrevski. Exercises and tutorials created by Samuel Cioran. Published by
Fort Dialogue Ontario, 1992. I wrote HyperTalk scripts for tutorials and exercises
for 30 lessons and for a dictionary.
- See Home Page for a listing of other Web resources I have developed.
PAPERS AND PRESENTATIONS
- "On the Classification of Macedonian Proverbs." AATSEEL, Philadelphia, December 2006.
- “Celebrating St. Paraskeva Day in Two Villages in Prespa, Macedonia”. American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies. Washington, D.C., November 15-18, 2006
- "A Proposal for Macedonian Morphosyntactic Descriptions.
Ïðåäëîã çà ìîðôîñèíòàêñè÷êè îïèñ íà ãðàìàòè÷êèòå êàòåãîðèè è ôîðìè âî ìàêåäîíñêèîò ¼àçèê". Macedonian-North American Conference, Ohrid August 11th-13th, 2006
- “The On-line Macedonian Text Corpus: Current Status and Future Plans”. Fifteenth Biennial Conference on Balkan and South Slavic Linguistics, Literature, and Folklore, UC Berkeley, March 30-April 1, 2006
- "Macedonian electronic corpus: design, implementation, access." At 38th Seminar on Macedonian Language, Literature and Culture, Ohrid, Macedonia, August 2005
- "Macedonian language Corpus: Current Situation and Perspectives." Lecture presented at Macedonian Language Institute, Skopje Macedonia, December 1, 2003.
- "Misirkov's On Macedonian Matters from Lexicographic Aspect." Paper presented at the International Conference on the Works of Krste Misirkov, Macedonian Academy of Sciences and the Arts, Skopje, Macedonia, November 27-30, 2003.
- "Archiving Macedonian Electronic Texts." Paper presented at "The Macedonian Language. Present, Past, Future" conference. Macedonian Language Institute, Skopje, Macedonia. October 16-17, 2003.
- "Notes and Studies of Prespa in the Branislav Rusic Archives at MANU." 5th International Macedonina-North American Conference on Macedonian Studies. Ohio State University, May 1-4, 2003.
- "Addressing Individual Learner Differences through Networked Learning," ACTFL, Chicago, November 21-24, 1998
- "Reading and Writing Slavic Texts on the Web," AAASS, Boca Raton, September 24-27, 1998
- "Computerized Database of Slavonic Manuscripts in Macedonia," Fourth International Hilandar Conference, Ohio State University, August 14-15, 1998
- National Council of Organizations of Less Commonly Taught Languages: Summit Conference. University of Wisconsin, Madison, October 17-19, 1997.
- "Presenting and Testing Grammar on the Web with Perl Gateway Scripts",
presented at Symposium on Local and Global Electronic Networking in Foreign Language
Learning and Research, University of Hawaii, July 1995
- Mandelstam's Poetry on Art." AATSEEL, Toronto, December 1993
- "Interactive Foreign Language Multimedia Design with HyperCard."
presented at Multimedia in Education and Industry Conference, Savannah, Georgia, July 27, 1993
- "Russian HyperTutor: Interactive Multimedia for the Macintosh"
Paper presented at MacBeth Conference on Computing in the Liberal Arts,
Bethany College, April 1993
- "On the Nature of Macedonian Erotic Folk Tales."
Paper presened at congress of the American Association of Teachers of
Slavic and East European Languages and Literatures, New York, December 1992
- "Presenting Russian Culture: Interactive Multimedia Approach"
Paper presented at Interactive Multimedia '92 conference, Washington D.C., August 1992
- "Social Classes in Chekhov's Russia."
Invited presentation, Alabama Shakespeare Festival, Montgomery, Alabama, June 1991.
- "Teaching Russian Pronunciation with HyperCard."
Paper presented at symposium of Computer-Assisted Language Learning and
Instruction Consortium, Atlanta, April 1991
- "Russian HyperTutor: Teaching Russian with HyperCard."
Paper presented at congress of the American Association of Teachers of
Slavic and East European Languages and Literatures, Chicago, December 1990
- "On the Stanislavsky System in the Russian Culture Classroom".
American Association of Teachers of Slavic and East European Languages and
Literatures, Washington D.C., December 1989
- "Soviet Semiotics of Culture: A Model for the Study of Literary Parodies."
Southern Conference on Foreign Languages and Literatures, Rollins College, February 1989.
- "Anna Karenina: The Specular Moments in the Lover's Discourse."
Southern Conference on Foreign Languages and Literatures, Rollins College, February 1988.
- "Text Based Management Systems for Literary Research."
International Conference on Data Bases in the Humanities and Social
Sciences, Montgomery, Alabama, June 1987.
- "From Folktale to Drama: The Semiotics of Adaptation."
American Association of Teachers of Slavic and East European Languages
and Literatures, Chicago, December 1985
- "Individualized Instruction in Serbo-Croatian for Graduate Students."
American Association of Teachers of Slavic and East European Languages and
Literatures, Washington D.C., December 1984
- "Russian for Reading: A Mastery-Based Course."
Southern Conference on Language Teaching, Birmingham, Alabama, October 1984
- " Semiotic Analysis of Adaptations of myths and Folktales in the Theatre."
International Association for Semiotics of Performing Arts Colloquium, France, September 1984
- "Jovanovic and Ristic: The Two Versions of Karamazovs."
Midwest Slavic Conference, Columbus, Ohio, May 1984
- "Concordancing Electronic Texts." Macedonian Language Institute, Skopje, Macedonia, 2004.
- "Developing Interactive Web-based Foreign Language Exercises." Pre-conference workshop conducted at AATSEEL, ACTFL, and at Ohio State University, UNC Chapel Hill, and University of Alabama at Huntsville.
- "Internet Workshop." Faculty of Technical Sciences, Bitola, Macedonia, March 1997.
- "HyperCard in Foreign Language Instruction."
Conducted at International Association of Language Laboratories
pre-conference workshop, University of Kansas 1993, and at Emory University, October 24, 1992;
- "Interactive Multimedia Design with HyperCard."
Conducted at Multimedia in Education and Industry Conference, Savannah, Georgia 1993.
- "Satellite Television Programming - Bring the World into Your Classroom."
Southern Conference on Language Teaching - Atlanta, 1993, Alabama
Association of Foreign Language Teachers, February 1992.
- Listed in the "Computer Assisted Learning and Instruction Consortium Resource
- Computer Consultant for project at Ohio State University to develop teaching
materials for seven minor languages - Summer 1984, 1985 and 1986.
- Organization and Chairing of Panels and Seminars
- Co-organizer of 7th International Macedonina-North American Conference on Macedonian Studies, to be held at University of Utah, 2009.
- "Systems in Conflict: Russian Folk Belief and the Other." AAASS, Boston, December 4, 2004.
- Co-organizer of 5th International Macedonina-North American Conference on Macedonian Studies. Ohio State University, May 1-4, 2003.
- "Current Issues in Literary Theory"
for the Seventh Annual Southeast Conference on Foreign Languages and
Literatures, Rollins College, February 1989
- "Semiotics of Political Discourse"
for the Third World Congress for Soviet and East European Studies,
Washington D.C., November 1985
- "Contemporary East European Literary Theory"
for the American Association of Teachers of Slavic and East European
Languages and Literatures, Washington D.C., December 1984
- Consulting for publishers
- Review of article for publication in Balkanistica.
- Review of two articles submitted for publication in IALL Journal.
- Review of textbook RussianAlive! for Heinle and Heinle, November 1991
- Review of textbook Golosa for Prentice Hall, October 1992
- Outreach Service
- "Computational Linguistics and Macedonian." Invited lecture to be delivered at the Center for Areal Linguistics of the Macedonian Academy of Sciences and the Arts in June 2007.
- "The Macedonian Immigration Narrative: From There to Here and Back." Mary Chonkov Endowed Lecture at Arizona State University, March 2007.
- "Concordancing Macedonian Texts." Macedonian Language Institute, 2003.
- "The Russian Coup and its Ramifications" Honors Convocation of the Auburn University Honors Program, 1991.
- Cultrual Resource Guide. Auburn Alumni Tour of Russia, 1990
- "Gorbachev, Perestroika, and the New Thinking in Russia." Favorite Faculty Series, Noble Hall Residence, Auburn University, 1989
- "AU/Rotary World Affairs Youth Seminar." Program Director, 1987, 1988, 1989
HONORS, AWARDS AND GRANTS
- Fulbright Teaching Fellow, 9/2009-12/2010 in Bitola, Macedonia.
- American Council of Learned Societies travel grant for participation at 14th International Congress of Slavists, Summer 2008, $2,500.
- National Council for Eurasian and East European Research. Short-term travel grant to Macedonia to develop Research Guide to Libraries, Institutes and Archives in the Republic of Macedonia, Summer 2007.
- Nominated for the 2006 Book Award in Pedagogy by the American Association of Teachers of Slavic Languages.
- Competitive Research Grant to conduct research in Macedonia, 2006, $2,500.
- Professional improvement leave, Fall 2003
- Fulbright-Hayes Research Scholar, 2002/2003, Skopje, Macedonia.
- Fulbright Teaching Fellow, January-June 1997, Skopje Macedonia.
- International Research and Exchange Board grant to conduct research on folk games and folk toys in Skopje, Macedonia, December 1994.
- MacBeth Award for Best Foreign Language Software at MacBeth Conference on
Computing in the Liberal Arts, Bethany College, April 1993
- International Research and Exchange Board travel grant to conduct research in
Skopje, Macedonia, January 1992.
- Professional improvement leave, spring 1989
- Mellon Regional Fellowship for one week seminar "Semiotics and Goethe's
Werther" at Vanderbilt University, June 1987
- Mortar Board Best Teacher Award, Fall 1986
- International Research and Exchange Board Research Fellow, Belgrade,
- NDEA Title VI Fellowship, The Ohio State University, 1976/77 and 1979/1980
- Member of Dobro Slovo, National Slavic Honor Society